For Team Managers
If you are reading this, it is probably because you are a Team Manager looking for guidance or resources, or perhaps you are considering becoming a Team Manager.
We have accumulated a large repository of materials to help you support your teams in solving their Challenges. These can be found here.
We hope that you find this trove useful!
A concise map to help Team Managers find the information they need.
- Getting started:
- Program Materials:
- Team Challenges – the rules for a team's selected challenge
- Rules of the Road – the definitive reference for the rules of DI (applies to all Team Challenges)
- Roadmap – a guidebook to help Team Managers manage a team from their first session all the way to a tournament
- Travel Guide for Teams – a detailed guide describing what teams can expect at the tournament (usually published in January)
- Other Team Manager guides:
- Resources for Teams – helpful references for Team Managers, team members, and parents
- Resources for Team Managers – our collection of resources specifically for Team Managers
- TM Tips & Tricks Guide – a helpful guide which can be used in parallel with the Roadmap (see above)
- Index of Creative Problem Solving Tools – a useful list of tools to help your team make decisions and generate ideas
- Difficult Team Situations – how to prevent them before they happen, and remediate them if the do
- At the Tournament:
- Team Manager Tournament Tips – be prepared for anything!
- What If We Win at States and Are Going to Global Finals?
- About DI in general:
Team Challenges, Rules of the Road, Roadmap and Travel Guide for Teams – the basic documents which govern DI challenges.
Congratulations on being a Team Manager! We thank you for your commitment to bringing the Destination Imagination experience to your team.
Now that you are here, we would like to help you be the very best Team Manager you can be!
As a team manager you may encounter various difficult team situations. Use this guide to help you avoid common pitfalls, and handle breakdowns when they occur.
A useful flow chart for planning your Destination Imagination year.
Excellent online training modules for Team Managers and for Appraisers are available at DI University.
These have been newly revised, and are recommended both for new and for returning volunteers.
See this section for support materials useful for all NYDI participants and volunteers.
A short, fun A-Z primer for Team Managers.
This manual, compiled from many different sources, is intended to be used by Team Managers in addition to the Destination Imagination Roadmap, Rules of the Road and Team Challenges.
This is an example of a contract / ground rules, which the Team Manager can have Team Members and their Parents agree to and sign.
Follow these great steps to help failure-proof your team and be ready for any kind of breakdown!
As a former ER nurse, I know how important it is to be prepared for ANYTHING!! On my first day of training, an ambulance radioed in that they were bringing in a trauma victim. With the details from the ambulance in mind, the nurses quickly prepared the trauma room…
You want to practice Instant Challenges & Improvs with your team.
You've used every problem in every book you can find.
Out of ideas? Try this!
How to manage the “Dirty Dozen” universal team management problems…
An excercise about interacting with appraisers to practice with your team:
Important Guidelines for Teams and Team Managers immediately before and at the tournament
In order to ensure that we care appropriately for the venues that host our tournaments, we have instituted the following rules which apply at all NYDI Tournaments:
All NY teams which advance to Global Finals are required to purchase a Team NY Champ Pack, which includes the following for each team member:
- An NYDI T-shirt: This is our official uniform, and is worn by team members at the Global Finals opening and closing ceremonies.
- A basic set of NYDI trading pins: It has been said that, beyond the Challenges, pin trading is the social glue which binds teams from all around the world together at Global Finals.
NYDI has produced a series of presentations to help Team Managers better support their teams.
This manual is intended to be used by Team Managers in addition to the Destination Imagination Program Materials. The information offered here does not supersede the rules set out by Destination Imagination. Rather, it is intended as a guide to help Team Managers better understand the rules, and learn how to support their teams.
Minor Revisions: April 2012, November 2012, July 2014
The information is organized to follow the outline presented in the Roadmap. We recommend that you read the Roadmap section followed by the related section in this manual.
This manual is a compilation of suggestions and comments from many different sources. Every effort has been made to recognize the individuals who contributed to its content, but in many cases, we don’t know where the material actually came from.