2022 NYDI Affiliate Tournament
LAST UPDATE: April 3, 2022
All New York teams were invited to present their Challenge solutions at the 2022 NYDI Affiliate Tournament, on April 2, 2022.
The tournament was held at SUNY Broome Community College, located in Binghamton, NY.
Please view our 2022 NYDI Closing Celebration and Awards Ceremony
Closing Celebration Video
Tournament and Pre-Tournament Procedures
MUST READ Documents
All teams are advised to read:
Prep is Open! Submit your documents now!
Even though we are having an in-person Tournament this year, to streamline check-in at each Challenge, the documents that the Appraisers will need when evaluating your team's solution must be submitted online, in advance of the Tournament.
The required forms include:
- Tournament Data Form (tdf)
- Starry Showcase Form (tdf)
- Expense Report (exp)
- TC Prep
- IC Prep
Please note: A different subset of the forms listed above may be required depending on your Challenge.
- The submission page is in the Resource Area at Teams → my tournaments
- Use the button in each column to access the submission forms.
- Your submission is not complete until you click the Submit button at the bottom of each form.
- Please submit before Wednesday, March 30 to avoid the last minute rush!
- All documents must be submitted by 11:59pm on Thursday, March 31.
- Our Prep Area Appraisers will review your submission within 48 hours, and may respond with questions, so please remember to check your email!
Where to be, When to be there
All teams should report to Tournament Registration, located in the lobby of the Student Center building at SUNY Broome, at their assigned Arrival Time.
The green arrow ➜ on the map hows the entrance to use for registration.
- Please do not arrive more than 10 minutes before your assigned Arrival Time.
- Do NOT bring your props or other equipment to Tournament Registration!
- Do NOT enter any building on campus before checking in at Tournament Registration!
- Maroon arrows ➜ on the map indicate prop load-in locations!
Click on the arrow to see which challenges are loaded there.
Convenient Map Links
Click on the link for a Google Map of the location (zoom out for context):
- Tournament Registration (go here first to check in)
- Prop Load-in: Daring Escape (Tech), Up Close (Sci), Roll With It (Eng), For the Future (PO) (Gymnasiums door)
- Prop Load-in: Tricky Tales (Fine Arts) (back door near stage)
- Prop Load-in: Festival Frenzy (Improv), Monster Manners (Rising Stars / K-2) (enter directly to 2nd floor)
- Prop Load-in: Festival Frenzy (Improv), Monster Manners (Rising Stars / K-2) (take stairs or elevator to 2nd floor)
Due to the need to adapt to the COVID pandemic, all New York teams are invited to participate in Global Finals '22, taking place in Kansas City, Missouri, May 21-24, 2022.
For details about our advancement policy, see 2022 NYDI POLICY FOR ADVANCEMENT TO GLOBAL FINALS.
In light of Gov. Hochul lifting the statewide mask mandate for K-12 schools, and recent favorable updates to CDC COVID-19 community levels, SUNY Broome has updated their COVID prevention policy. As of March 10, 2022:
All employees, students, and visitors on campus must:
- wear a face mask in indoor settings if unvaccinated.
- practice social distancing where practicable.
- stay home if feeling ill.
All of our NYDI team members, Team Managers, Appraisers, spectators, and volunteers are visitors to the SUNY Broome campus, and thus, are subject to the above policy.
In light of the updates, we are happy to say that:
- Teams will be allowed to perform without masks, if they choose.
- Teams will be allowed to stay and watch a few other teams perform.
- We will NOT require proof of a negative COVID test
There are still a few caveats that will need to be enforced to make sure that everyone feels safe attending the Tournament:
- We still recommend that all attendees wear masks.
- Teams are still limited to a maximum of 2 spectators per team member, with an added allowance for Team Managers or Coordinators who are not parents of team members. Individuals who are serving as Appraisers or in other NYDI volunteer roles do not count toward this maximum.
- Teams will receive instructions on the time window when they can be at the Tournament:
- Teams should not arrive on campus before their assigned Arrival Time
- Teams must leave the campus by their assigned Departure Time
- Masks are mandatory (regardless of vaccination status) in the following areas / times:
- At Tournament Registration (in Student Center Lobby)
- In the Prep Area before the performance.
- When Appraisers are conferencing with the team after the performance.
- In the Monster Manners (Rising Stars) performance area.
- At Instant Challenge check-in, and in most Instant Challenge rooms.
- Any location with posted Masks Required signs.
- The Closing Celebration / Awards Ceremony will not take place in person. It will be recorded by our Tournament Officials, and made available online after the end of the Tournament.
Most importantly: Anyone who feels ill should stay home!
- Really, we mean it: If you don’t feel well, STAY HOME!
- Teams can perform even if one or more team members are missing at the Tournament. There is no requirement for 100% attendance.
- No penalties or score reductions will be imposed because of a missing team member.
- Note that [even when there is no pandemic] it is always a good idea for teams to be prepared for breakdowns, including the possibility of a team member not being able to attend the Tournament due to illness. This is a scenario that has happened to many teams before, and we are happy to report that often those teams have won their Challenge / Level, received special awards, and advanced to higher levels of competition.
Also: If you have been in recent contact with someone who has (or may have) COVID, STAY HOME!
- If you have no symptoms AND you have tested negative on a high-quality COVID test (PCR or NAAT), then you can come, but please err on the side of caution here!
Finally, we remind everyone that these rules are based upon the situation as we know it today. If SUNY Broome’s policy changes, or if the COVID-19 community level changes, we will revise the procedures again.
We know that this differs from our usual celebration of creativity, but as we are sure you will understand, we want to make sure that none of the kids become ill as a result of participation in the Tournament. Of course, if conditions change, we stand ready to shift to different procedures.
Affiliate Tournament Venues
Affiliate Tournament Schedule
- Please force refresh / bypass your browser cache to ensure that you are seeing the latest version of the schedule!
- This schedule is preliminary. Changes are likely!
- If you don't see your team listed, it is probably because you haven't completed Tournament Registration.
- Notice a problem? Contact [email protected] immediately for guidance!
- Emails from NYDI always take precedence over this web page!
- All teams should re-verify their performance times when they register on the day of the tournament.
- Check-in time varies by Challenge (it is earlier for Engineering)
- Curious about the scheduling process? See WHY IS THE TOURNAMENT SCHEDULED THIS WAY?