- Global Finals Web Page – go here first!
- Team NY Schedule UPDATED
- Important Challenge Info for Teams must read
- DI Event Management / Registration System
- Global Finals Guide
- Champ-Pack Pre-Order – requested for ALL teams!
- Travel Guide for Teams
- What if we Win at States and are going to Global Finals?
- Tips for Team Managers at the Tournament
- Is it a general question about Global Finals? Start with your regional director!
- Is it about a specific pin or shirt order? If so, Team Managers should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is it a problem with the DI Event Management / Registration System? If so, then email AskDI@dihq.org or telephone +1 (888) 321-1503.
Confirmation of Attendance at Globals
If you know your team will be attending Globals, please follow the link in the email you received from DI Inc. and confirm your attendance. If you know you will not be able to attend, please advise us as soon as possible so we can determine if another team should advance.
Registration / Payment Deadlines
- You must accept (or decline) the invitation to Global Finals immediately.
- A deposit is due by April 27th.
- Final payment and confirmation is due by May 2nd.
NYDI usually has great on-campus housing for teams on or near the Presidential Quad (ground zero for pin trading), near the athletic facility, with good transportation links to the rest of the tournament. The residence halls are modern and in great condition. The environment is a great one for students and their supporters to build camaradarie with other New York teams, and with teams from around the world.
Each room has two beds, a mini-fridge, air conditioning, and desks. Some rooms have a private bathroom, others have a bathroom shared with one other room. Bed linens and towels are provided. In some cases air beds or roll-a-way beds will be provided to allow more individuals to share each room.
Do you have friends or family who would like to stay off campus? Global Finals can help! See Global Finals Family & Friends Housing.
It has been said that beyond the Challenges, pin trading is the social glue which binds teams from all around the world together at Global Finals.
Every team member will receive a few NYDI pins in their Champ Pack, but most participants buy additional pins so that they have more to trade. See the Champ Pack page and our NYDI Shop for more information.
Note: Any additional pin orders for your teams — including parent orders — should come through the Team Manager to email@example.com. This will greatly facilitate the distribution of pins and shirts. It will also allow us to consolidate orders by team if that works to the benefit of the team/parents. These orders should be paid my check payable to Destination Imagination of New York, 22 Cortlandt Manor Road, Katonah, NY 10536.
NYDI and DI Inc. do not provide transportation to Global Finals. This is the responsibility of the team, or perhaps of the team's sponsoring organization. There is some information about Global Finals travel at Global Finals Travel. Also see Global Finals Prop Shipment if you would like to arrange to ship your props directly to Global Finals.
What to Bring
Here is a short list of items which teams should be sure to bring for the trip to Knoxville:
- Your solution: Make sure you have a good checklist of all of your props, equipment, supplies, costumes, tools, etc. Check it twice!
- Your paperwork: Check-in sheets and release forms (from DI Event Management), signed Global Finals Consent Forms, and Tournament Data Forms (see below).
- Your NYDI State Champions shirt – wear this for opening and closing ceremonies.
- Your school or team DI Shirt – wear for Team Challenge (unless you have constumes), and for your Instant Challenge.
- Costume for the Costume Ball, aka the "Duct Tape Ball" (if you plan to attend). It is traditional to make costumes out of duct tape.
- Clothes for the remainder of your stay – but not too much!
- Your NYDI Trading Pins
- Cell phone and charger. Extra batteries or power banks are recommended.
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses (temperatures in Knoxville are expected to be in the mid 80's).
- Swim suit / large towel, tennis racket, etc. - the athletic center is nearby
- Any medications which you need, in their original packaging.
Note the above list is not definitive!
What NOT to Bring
While that is a pretty long list, we do advise teams to pack light:
- Don't bring any fancy dress clothing. You won't need it!
- Don't bring lots of extra clothing "just in case". You can always wash items as needed.
- Don't bring anything which is illegal or dangerous – no drugs, alcohol, weapons, etc."
- Pillows, sheets and pillowcases – these are all provided.
- New Backpacks or other opaque bags to the Welcome Ceremony, Costume Ball, or Closing Ceremony (see bag policy).
- Most important Don't bring ATTITUDE! Remember – we are no longer teams from our individual schools! Rather, we are TEAM NEW YORK, representing our entire affiliate, our country, and DI globally. We are ambassadors for Destination Imagination – let's act that way, and support every team – no matter where they come from.
Each team must bring a new completed set of Tournament Data Forms with them to Global Finals. Global Finals appraisers will NOT have access to the forms which you handed to the appraisers at any of the NYDI tournaments.
There is a completely separate and different set of Consent Forms required for Global Finals. These differ from the NYDI Consent Forms which you already completed, and are available in the DI Event Management / Registration System.
Teams are reminded that they should print out a copy of the Published Clarifications and any Team Clarifications which they requested.
The Welcome Ceremony will take place on Wednesday night at 7:30pm in Thompson-Boling Arena. Tickets in NYDI's reserved area are provided for Team Members and Team Managers; other spectators must find open seating in the high upper sections. NYDI provides Statue of Liberty crowns and fun flashy things for the ceremony.
An NYDI staff member will be available in the residence hall in the afternoon / early evening on Wednesday to make sure that every team receives their bag with any t-shirts / pins that are owed, as well as Welcome Ceremony goodies.