The top teams from each New York regional tournament and all teams from the Central Region will meet at the 2018 NYDI Affiliate Tournament (our state finals), on April 7, 2018.
The tournament will be held at SUNY Broome Community College, located in Binghamton, NY.
Teams and team managers are advised to review the following information:
- About the tournament itself:
- About the tournament site:
- What else:
- What if we win and are advancing to Global Finals?
- All teams MUST pre-order a Champ-Pack (at no up-front cost) – even though you don't know yet if you are advancing! Learn how and why.
Team Challenge LocationsChallenge locations will be determined closer to the date of the tournament.
Respect for our Host Venue
In order to ensure that we care appropriately for our host venue, SUNY Broom Community College, we have instituted the following site-specific rules:
- Teams must take precautions to protect the facility, including (but not limited to) the floor surface and walls. Damage to the facility could result in points deducted and/or a monetary charge for repairs.
- Teams must remove ALL debris from the the Challenge Venue immediately after their performance, must clean their area in the Prop Zone within 2 hours, and be signed out by the Prop Zone Monitor. Teams which leave debris behind may have points deducted or may be charged a fee for cleaning.
We have developed a procedure to support adherence to these rules. See the Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures for details.
SUNY Broome Community College
Changes to your Solution
Teams are permitted, and actually expected, to refine, enhance and improve their solutions between the Regional and Affiliate Tournaments. Any change is permitted – but a team may NOT switch to a different Challenge.
New copies of your Tournament Data Forms, Declaration of Independent, and Expense Report are required for the Affiliate Tournament.
Special Notes for Certain Challenges
- Challenge A: Maze Craze (Technical):
- Solutions which are deemed likely to damage the floor will be disallowed.
- The Challenge Master will interrupt the use of any solution which is seen to be damaging the floor.
- Challenge C: Change of Tune (Fine Arts):
- The performance venue at the Affiliate Tournament will be much smaller than you may have encountered at the Regional Tournament, but will meet the space specifications described in the Challenge.
- Challenge E: Drop Zone (Engineering):
- Bring your structure to Structure Check-In at least 60 minutes before scheduled performance time.
Advancement to Global Finals
- First and second place teams for each level and each challenge at the Affiliate Tournament will advance to Global Finals 2018. Ties may also be advanced.
- ALL teams should have pre-ordered their Champ Pack, and should be prepared to complete the purchase immediately after the awards ceremony. The Champ Pack is mandatory for advancing teams, and includes NYDI T-Shirts for every participant, and a few trading pins. Cost will be determined in early 2018. Advancing teams can be purchase additional shirts and pins at a discount. We strongly suggest pre-ordering to streamline the purchase process! Champ Pack orders must be complete on the day of the tournament in order to guarantee availability for Global Finals! See the Champ Pack page for details.
- What if we Win at States and are going to Global Finals?
Global Finals Team Managers Meeting
There is a very important Team Manager Meeting immediately after the awards ceremony to review the “Going to Globals” process. One Team Manager from every advancing team MUST attend. We will have a packet of information for the Team Manager and we will review the process. There are veterans in this group that will have great insight to share as well. We intend for this meeting to be brief but focused, running not more than 20 minutes.
If your team provided an appraiser for the Regional Tournament, we request that your appraiser also attend the Affiliate Tournament. Without adequate appraisers, we cannot operate the tournament. Please remind your appraiser of this well before the tournament.
Please remind your volunteer of their commitment for the day of the tournament. Every team is required to provide an adult volunteer who can help run the tournament. Assignments vary, but usually run about an hour.
Note: The volunteer is usually a separate individual vs. any appraiser who might be attending on behalf of your team.
We always arrange the volunteer schedule so that a team's designated volunteers are able to see their team's performance!
Your team's volunteer assignment is shown on the tournament schedule, at the far right of the table. Please make sure that your volunteer has read the volunteer responsibilities before the day of the tournament, and that they know where and when they must report for duty.
- Please force refresh / bypass your browser cache to ensure that you are seeing the latest version of the schedule!
- Tournament schedules are typically posted approximately two weeks before the tournament.
- Emails from NYDI always take precedence over this web page!
- All teams should re-verify their performance times when they register on the day of the tournament.
- Volunteer assignments at the right of the table (you may need to scroll to the right to see the columns).