The top teams from each New York regional tournament will meet at the 2020 NYDI Affiliate Tournament (our state finals), on April 4, 2020.
The tournament will be held at SUNY Broome Community College, located in Binghamton, NY.
Teams and team managers are advised to review the following information:
- About the tournament itself:
- About the tournament site:
- What else:
- What if we win and are advancing to Global Finals?
- All teams MUST pre-order a Champ-Pack (at no up-front cost) – even though you don't know yet if you are advancing! Learn how and why.
Tournament registration is in the lobby of the Student Center. A representative of each team must check in there before going to the Challenge Location.
Challenges will take place in the following buildings on the SUNY Broome campus:
See the Schedule below for which Challenges will take place in each venue.
Teams are reminded that they must report to the prep area for their Team Challenge and to Instant Challenge no later than 20 minutes before the scheduled performance time. Teams that do not check-in on time may be penalized.
Respect for our Host Venue
In order to ensure that we care appropriately for our host venue, SUNY Broom Community College, we have instituted the following site-specific rules:
- Teams must take precautions to protect the facility, including (but not limited to) the floor surface and walls. Damage to the facility could result in points deducted and/or a monetary charge for repairs.
- Teams must remove ALL debris from the the Challenge Venue immediately after their performance, must clean their area in the Prop Zone within 2 hours, and be signed out by the Prop Zone Monitor. Teams which leave debris behind may have points deducted or may be charged a fee for cleaning.
See the Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures for details.
SUNY Broome Community College
Changes to your Solution
Teams are permitted, and actually expected, to refine, enhance and improve their solutions between the Regional and Affiliate Tournaments. Any change is permitted – but a team may NOT switch to a different Challenge.
New copies of your Tournament Data Forms, Declaration of Independence, and Expense Report are required for the Affiliate Tournament. We will also need Consent Forms for anyone that has not already handed one in to us this year.
Special Notes for Certain Challenges
- Challenge E: In The Cards (Engineering):
- Bring your structure to Structure Check-In at least 60 minutes before scheduled performance time.
Advancement to Global Finals
- Selection of teams:
- First and second place teams for each level and each challenge at the Affiliate Tournament will advance to Global Finals 2020. Ties may also be advanced.
- In addition, NYDI may enter 1 team per Challenge, per Level, into the Lottery System, by which additional teams may be selected by Destination Imagination, Inc. to attend Global Finals.
- Teams must have made a good-faith effort to solve the Challenge and have no significant deductions for Unsportsmanlike Conduct in order to advance.
- See 2020 NYDI POLICY FOR ADVANCEMENT TO GLOBAL FINALS for full details.
- ALL teams should have pre-ordered their Champ Pack, and should be prepared to complete the purchase immediately after the awards ceremony. The Champ Pack is mandatory for advancing teams, and includes NYDI T-Shirts for every participant, and a few trading pins. Cost will be determined in early 2020. Advancing teams can be purchase additional shirts and pins at a discount. We strongly suggest pre-ordering to streamline the purchase process! Champ Pack orders must be complete on the day of the tournament in order to guarantee availability for Global Finals! See the Champ Pack page for details.
- What if we Win at States and are going to Global Finals?
Global Finals Team Managers Meeting
There is a very important Team Manager Meeting immediately after the awards ceremony to review the “Going to Globals” process. One Team Manager from every advancing team MUST attend. We will have a packet of information for the Team Manager and we will review the process. There are veterans in this group that will have great insight to share as well. We intend for this meeting to be brief but focused, running not more than 20 minutes.
If your team provided an appraiser for the Regional Tournament, we request that your appraiser also attend the Affiliate Tournament. Without adequate appraisers, we cannot operate the tournament. Please remind your appraiser of this well before the tournament.
Please remind your volunteer of their commitment for the day of the tournament. Every team is required to provide an adult volunteer who can help run the tournament. Assignments vary, but usually run about an hour.
Note: The volunteer is usually a separate individual vs. any appraiser who might be attending on behalf of your team.
We always arrange the volunteer schedule so that a team's designated volunteers are able to see their team's performance!
Your team's volunteer assignment is shown on the tournament schedule, at the far right of the table. Please make sure that your volunteer has read the volunteer responsibilities before the day of the tournament, and that they know where and when they must report for duty.
- Why is the Tournament Scheduled This Way?
- Please force refresh / bypass your browser cache to ensure that you are seeing the latest version of the schedule!
- Emails from NYDI always take precedence over this web page!
- Is your team missing from the schedule? Have you completed Tournament Enrollment?
- All teams should re-verify their performance times when they register on the day of the tournament.
- Volunteer assignments will be posted at the right of the table when they are available (you may need to scroll to the right to see the columns).