The 2017 NYDI Western Regional Tournament took place on March 3rd, 2018 at Clarence Middle School.
- General Information
- Tournament Enrollment
- New this Year
- Arrival at the Tournament
- Respect for our Host Venue
- Clarence Middle School Area
- Clarence Middle School Campus
- Site Maps
- Tournament Schedule
- Awards Ceremony
- Advancement Policy
- Tournament Schedule
Team Managers should review ALL of the following documents in preparation for the tournament:
- Our 7 Secrets to a Successful Tournament presentation.
- Travel Guide for Teams – very important information about procedures on the day of the tournament
- Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures
- Team Manager Tournament Tips
- A Typical Tournament Day
- Picking up and Understanding Your Scores
Please remember that you may not enroll in the Tournament until your Team Registration is complete:
- Registrations are due by December 15, 2017. Late registrations shall be assessed $50 per team late fee.
- Registrations and tournament enrollments after January 15, 2018 are subject to Regional Director approval.
- No registrations will be accepted or processed after February 15, 2018.
See the Western Region page for details on Team Registration.
New this Year
- NEW LOCATION! Please PLAN AHEAD, GIVE YOURSELF AND YOUR TEAM TIME, ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE INSTEAD OF DAY OF AND PREPARE YOUR PARENTS TOO.
- OPENING CEREMONY! We will start with a quick shout out to all school districts and independent areas. If you want to bring a sign or something to represent yourself, by all means. You can show it off when I give your area a shout out. Be in the Auditorium at 8:45 or so to get a seat. We'll start at 9:00am and finish no later than 9:15.
- TEAM PHOTOS! Besides having photos taken throughout the day, we will also be taking winning team photos. Teams who receive an award will be asked to funnel out the side exit of the stage to take a team photo.
- RISING STARS FINALE! Come celebrate the solutions of our Rising Stars teams! I've purposely scheduled our Rising Stars teams to be at the end of the day before Closing Ceremonies so we can all show them our DI Spirit. Please enjoy their solutions starting at 3:40 in the Auditorium.
- CENTRAL NY TEAMS! We have invited our Central NY teams to come out and showcase their solutions at our tournament
Arrival at the Tournament
- Teams and spectators are advised to carpool if possible – the amount of parking at the school building is limited. Please plan ahead and share transportation if at all possible.
- It is not necessary for the entire team to go to Check-In. Younger teams should come with a Team Manager and one Team Member. Older teams can just send one Team Member.
- The loading zone will differ by Challenge. Keep loading and unloading zones clear. Be as quick as possible and do not park in these areas. Be considerate of everyone else.
- Each Challenge has its own requirements concerning when teams must report to the Prep Area. Consult the Travel Guide for Teams and Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures for details.
- Stucture teams must bring their structure to Structure Check-In no later than 1 hour before their Team Challenge performance time.
Respect for our Host Venue
In order to ensure that we care appropriately for our host venue, Somers Middle School, we have instituted the following site-specific rules:
- Teams must take precautions to protect the facility, including (but not limited to) the floor surface and walls. Damage to the facility could result in points deducted and/or a monetary charge for repairs.
- Teams must remove ALL debris from the the Challenge Venue immediately after their performance, must clean their area in the Prop Zone within 2 hours, and be signed out by the Prop Zone Monitor. Teams which leave debris behind may have points deducted or may be charged a fee for cleaning.
We have developed a procedure to support adherence to these rules. See the Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures for details.
The tournament schedule is posted below. Registration changes such as team name and contact info updates should be completed in the Register Your Team.
Team Managers should review our 7 Secrets to a Successful Tournament presentation, and should also study the Travel Guide for Teams. This has very important information about procedures on the day of the tournament. You should also review our Team Manager Tournament Tips, A Typical Tournament Day, and Picking up and Understanding Your Scores.
The Awards Ceremony will take place around 5:00 pm. Please note that there is some uncertainty in the starting time of the ceremony, as we cannot begin until all of the teams' scores have been tabulated.
New The number of teams that will advance to the NYDI Affiliate Tournament depends on the number of teams competing in each Challenge and Level. If one team is competing, then that team will advance. If two or more teams are competing, then we advance two (2) teams, and add an additional advancing team for each eight (8) teams competing.
In the case of a tie, the tied teams will advance according to their rank, and will not affect the advancement of teams at a lower rank.
Additionally, any team whose total score is within 10 points of an advancing team and has won (1st place) in any competition portion (Central Challenge, Team Choice Elements or Instant Challenge) will be given the opportunity to be evaluated by a second set of Appraisers, and therefore advanced.
In order for a team to advance, the Challenge Master must certify that the team has made a good-faith effort to solve the Challenge.
A detailed explanation of the advancement policy can be found in POLICIES OF DESTINATION IMAGINATION OF NEW YORK.
- Please force refresh / bypass your browser cache to ensure that you are seeing the latest version of the schedule!
Tournament schedules are typically posted approximately two weeks before the tournament.
- Emails from NYDI always take precedence over this web page!
- All teams should re-verify their performance times when they register on the day of the tournament.
The Day's Highlights
- Registration: 8:00-12:00 - South Cafeteria (410)
- Opening Ceremony: 9:00-9:15 - Auditorium (recommend you get seating 10 min early)
- Merchandise Sales: 9:30-3:30 - South Cafeteria (410)
- Challenges: Run from 9:40-4:40 in various locations
- Lunch: Available on site from 11-2, off site options also available at any time
- Closing Ceremony: 5:00 - Auditorium (we will try to begin on time but subject to change based on scoring system)
2018 Western Regional Tournament Venues
|A: Maze Craze||North Gym (500)||10:00||12:00|
|B: Unlikely Attraction||South Gym (300)||10:00||15:20|
|C: Change of Tune||Auditorium||9:40||15:00|
|D: Treasure!||Lecture Hall||10:00||11:40|
|E: Drop Zone||North Gym (500)||13:00||15:00|
|projectOutreach: Inside Impact||Lecture Hall||12:20||15:00|
|Rising Stars: Friends Everywhere||Auditorium||15:40||16:20|
2018 Western Regional Tournament Schedule
|Region||Organization||Team #||Team Name||Challenge||Level||Location||TC||IC|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence HS||134-43141||It's Just A Theory||A: Maze Craze||Secondary||North Gym (500)||10:00||13:40|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-36627||Chloroplasts||A: Maze Craze||Middle||North Gym (500)||10:20||15:00|
|Western||Cheshire Lane Cooperative||134-53698||A2Z||A: Maze Craze||Elementary||North Gym (500)||11:40||14:00|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence Central Schools (mixed)||134-51845||7 Creating Creative Creators of||A: Maze Craze||Elementary||North Gym (500)||11:00||13:20|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Sheridan Hill ES||134-11766||D.I. Dominators||A: Maze Craze||Elementary||North Gym (500)||11:20||13:40|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Sheridan Hill ES||134-52625||Destination Inventors||A: Maze Craze||Elementary||North Gym (500)||12:00||14:20|
|Western||Medina CSD | Medina HS||134-40178||..-||B: Unlikely Attraction||Secondary||South Gym (300)||10:20||14:20|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park HS||134-50736||DARTS||B: Unlikely Attraction||Secondary||South Gym (300)||10:00||14:00|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence MS||134-23115||DI or Die||B: Unlikely Attraction||Middle||South Gym (300)||11:20||14:00|
|Western||Independent - Modern Minders||134-47148||Aquatic Crew||B: Unlikely Attraction||Middle||South Gym (300)||12:20||15:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-12330||My Sweatshirt Smells Like Cruise||B: Unlikely Attraction||Middle||South Gym (300)||11:00||13:40|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-28370||The Fuzzy Chezz Ballz||B: Unlikely Attraction||Middle||South Gym (300)||11:40||14:20|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-52369||Unstoppable 6?||B: Unlikely Attraction||Middle||South Gym (300)||12:40||15:20|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-53213||Pineapple Fam Van||B: Unlikely Attraction||Middle||South Gym (300)||13:00||15:40|
|Central||Cayuga Heights Elementary||134-34024||NoNameYet||B: Unlikely Attraction||Elementary||South Gym (300)||15:20||13:40|
|Western||DeSales Catholic School||134-05788||Building Bananas||B: Unlikely Attraction||Elementary||South Gym (300)||14:40||13:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Ellicott ES||134-58201||Red Hot Chili Peppers||B: Unlikely Attraction||Elementary||South Gym (300)||14:20||12:40|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Ellicott ES||134-71059||Heart Busters||B: Unlikely Attraction||Elementary||South Gym (300)||15:00||13:20|
|Western||Medina CSD | Medina HS||134-62031||Blooming Expedition||C: Change of Tune||Secondary||Auditorium||9:40||11:20|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence MS||134-07294||Oz Balls||C: Change of Tune||Middle||Auditorium||10:00||12:00|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence MS||134-12218||We Break the Box x2||C: Change of Tune||Middle||Auditorium||11:40||13:20|
|Western||Horizon Academy||134-75966||Packet Twins||C: Change of Tune||Middle||Auditorium||10:20||12:20|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-02029||The A'Cappellos||C: Change of Tune||Middle||Auditorium||11:00||12:40|
|Western||West Seneca CSD | East Middle School||134-97537||Team Supreme||C: Change of Tune||Middle||Auditorium||11:20||13:00|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Ledgeview ES||134-20083||The Pineapple Dogs||C: Change of Tune||Elementary||Auditorium||13:40||10:40|
|Western||DeSales Catholic School||134-73705||Destination Awesomesauce||C: Change of Tune||Elementary||Auditorium||13:20||10:20|
|Western||Gasport Area Friends||134-21012||The Missing Marbles||C: Change of Tune||Elementary||Auditorium||14:40||11:40|
|Western||Independent - Modern Minders||134-39904||The Social B's||C: Change of Tune||Elementary||Auditorium||15:00||12:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Ellicott ES||134-60071||Seven Sneaky Hawks||C: Change of Tune||Elementary||Auditorium||13:00||10:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Windom ES||134-79535||Odd Koalas and a Panda||C: Change of Tune||Elementary||Auditorium||14:20||11:20|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park HS||134-47519||Reenact the Fanny Pack||D: Treasure!||Secondary||Lecture Hall||10:00||11:40|
|Western||Royalton-Hartland CSD | Royalton-Hartland HS||134-54359||Ed and Friends||D: Treasure!||Secondary||Lecture Hall||10:20||12:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-73097||The Golgi Gang||D: Treasure!||Middle||Lecture Hall||10:40||15:20|
|Western||Royalton-Hartland CSD | Royalton-Hartland MS||134-79755||Benadryl Cucumberpatch||D: Treasure!||Middle||Lecture Hall||11:00||15:40|
|Western||DeSales Catholic School||134-84573||Wiz Kids||D: Treasure!||Elementary||Lecture Hall||11:40||10:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Ellicott ES||134-73753||Super Gladiator Pancake Dogs||D: Treasure!||Elementary||Lecture Hall||11:20||9:40|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park HS||134-74064||The Unbreakable 7||E: Drop Zone||Secondary||North Gym (500)||13:00||11:00|
|Western||DeSales Catholic School||134-47155||Flight of Five||E: Drop Zone||Middle||North Gym (500)||13:20||10:00|
|Western||Orchard Park CSD | Orchard Park MS||134-54075||Delivered Instantly||E: Drop Zone||Middle||North Gym (500)||13:40||10:20|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence Central Schools (mixed)||134-09611||E: Drop Zone||Elementary||North Gym (500)||15:00||11:20|
|Central||Greater Ithaca Activities Center||134-55537||E: Drop Zone||Elementary||North Gym (500)||14:40||11:00|
|Western||Royalton-Hartland CSD | Royalton-Hartland ES||134-58708||E: Drop Zone||Elementary||North Gym (500)||14:20||10:40|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Clarence HS||134-68961||???||projectOutreach: Inside Impact||Secondary||Lecture Hall||14:40||13:20|
|Western||Frontier DI Boosters | Frontier CSD | Frontier MS||134-05828||BFLO ROCKS!!!||projectOutreach: Inside Impact||Middle||Lecture Hall||12:20||10:20|
|Western||Frontier DI Boosters | Frontier CSD | Frontier MS||134-36951||Spikey Kokonuts||projectOutreach: Inside Impact||Middle||Lecture Hall||15:00||10:40|
|Western||DeSales Catholic School||134-14663||6 Smarties||projectOutreach: Inside Impact||Elementary||Lecture Hall||13:40||15:00|
|Central||Ithaca City School District | Northeast Elementary||134-23719||H2O = Cuckoo Birds||projectOutreach: Inside Impact||Elementary||Lecture Hall||14:00||15:20|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Ledgeview ES||134-95673||The Brilliant Girls||Rising Stars: Friends Everywhere||Elementary||Auditorium||15:40||14:20|
|Western||Clarence DI Boosters | Sheridan Hill ES||134-62857||Team Invisible||Rising Stars: Friends Everywhere||Elementary||Auditorium||16:20||15:00|
|Western||DeSales Catholic School||134-39479||Rising Stars: Friends Everywhere||Elementary||Auditorium||16:00||14:40|