The 2019 NYDI Western Regional Tournament will take place in early March, 2019.
Date and location will be finalized by October.
Team Managers should review ALL of the following documents in preparation for the tournament:
- Our 7 Secrets to a Successful Tournament presentation.
- Travel Guide for Teams (2018 version) – very important information about procedures on the day of the tournament (2019 version will be available in January)
- Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures
- Team Manager Tournament Tips
- A Typical Tournament Day
- Picking up and Understanding Your Scores
Please remember that you may not enroll in the Tournament until your Team Registration is complete:
- Registrations are due by December 15, 2017. Late registrations shall be assessed $50 per team late fee.
- Registrations and tournament enrollments after January 15, 2019 are subject to Regional Director approval.
- No registrations will be accepted or processed after February 15, 2019.
See the Western Region page for details on Team Registration.
Arrival at the Tournament
- Teams and spectators are advised to carpool if possible – the amount of parking at the school building is limited. Please plan ahead and share transportation if at all possible.
- It is not necessary for the entire team to go to Check-In. Younger teams should come with a Team Manager and one Team Member. Older teams can just send one Team Member.
- The loading zone will differ by Challenge. Keep loading and unloading zones clear. Be as quick as possible and do not park in these areas. Be considerate of everyone else.
- Each Challenge has its own requirements concerning when teams must report to the Prep Area. Consult the Travel Guide for Teams and Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures for details.
- Stucture teams must bring their structure to Structure Check-In no later than 1 hour before their Team Challenge performance time.
Respect for our Host Venue
In order to ensure that we care appropriately for our host venue, Somers Middle School, we have instituted the following site-specific rules:
- Teams must take precautions to protect the facility, including (but not limited to) the floor surface and walls. Damage to the facility could result in points deducted and/or a monetary charge for repairs.
- Teams must remove ALL debris from the the Challenge Venue immediately after their performance, must clean their area in the Prop Zone within 2 hours, and be signed out by the Prop Zone Monitor. Teams which leave debris behind may have points deducted or may be charged a fee for cleaning.
We have developed a procedure to support adherence to these rules. See the Check-in and Prop Handling Procedures for details.
The tournament schedule is posted below. Registration changes such as team name and contact info updates should be completed in the NYDI Registration System.
Team Managers should review our 7 Secrets to a Successful Tournament presentation, and should also study the Travel Guide for Teams. This has very important information about procedures on the day of the tournament. You should also review our Team Manager Tournament Tips, A Typical Tournament Day, and Picking up and Understanding Your Scores.
The Awards Ceremony will take place around 5:00 pm. Please note that there is some uncertainty in the starting time of the ceremony, as we cannot begin until all of the teams' scores have been tabulated.
New The number of teams that will advance to the NYDI Affiliate Tournament depends on the number of teams competing in each Challenge and Level. If one team is competing, then that team will advance. If two or more teams are competing, then we advance two (2) teams, and add an additional advancing team for each eight (8) teams competing.
In the case of a tie, the tied teams will advance according to their rank, and will not affect the advancement of teams at a lower rank.
Additionally, any team whose total score is within 10 points of an advancing team and has won (1st place) in any competition portion (Central Challenge, Team Choice Elements or Instant Challenge) will be given the opportunity to be evaluated by a second set of Appraisers, and therefore advanced.
In order for a team to advance, the Challenge Master must certify that the team has made a good-faith effort to solve the Challenge.
A detailed explanation of the advancement policy can be found in POLICIES OF DESTINATION IMAGINATION OF NEW YORK.
- Please force refresh / bypass your browser cache to ensure that you are seeing the latest version of the schedule!
Tournament schedules are typically posted approximately two weeks before the tournament.
- Emails from NYDI always take precedence over this web page!
- All teams should re-verify their performance times when they register on the day of the tournament.
The Day's Highlights
- Registration: 8:00-12:00 - South Cafeteria (410)
- Opening Ceremony: 9:00-9:15 - Auditorium (recommend you get seating 10 min early)
- Merchandise Sales: 9:30-3:30 - South Cafeteria (410)
- Challenges: Run from 9:40-4:40 in various locations
- Lunch: Available on site from 11-2, off site options also available at any time
- Closing Ceremony: 5:00 - Auditorium (we will try to begin on time but subject to change based on scoring system)